Wednesday, March 23, 2016

I Saw It On FB So It Must Be True!

Do you ever see How To videos on Face Book and think, "Hey, I'll share that to my timeline and I'll come back to it when I have time and try it!"? I do it all the time except I almost never go back and try it. When I saw this particular video, I decided it was time.

{This is the link to the video I used}
https://www.facebook.com/cleverly.me/videos/525714507632328/

I have a gas oven that has never been properly cleaned. I do a lot of baking and when I make a mess or spill something, I clean it up so it's really never gotten very gross. Except for the glass door. When did this happen? And why won't it 
come clean? I didn't want to use a harsh chemical that might fill my house with an acrid smell or noxious fumes. When I saw that FB video I saw an opportunity to solve my problem!

I watched the video three times to make sure I wouldn't mess it up. There aren't any exact measurements listed, just baking soda, vinegar and water. So I mixed together approximate equal parts. I dabbed it all over 
the bottom of the oven and on the inside of the door.



Just like in the video, I placed the unused mixture on the oven rack and closed the door.







Then I set the temperature for 100 degrees Celsius. The lowest temperature setting on my oven is 200, so again, I approximated.  I set the timer for 45 minutes and waited...                                                     
When I opened the door, this is what I saw....so I started wiping with a scrubby sponge. Hmmm...I thought the baked on grit and grime was going to wipe right off.


It was not a quick and easy clean up. The baking soda made it all very slick and slippery to clean up and took lots of rinsing out of my sponge. The bottom of the oven came quite clean but it had not been very bad to begin with. Once I thought I'd rinsed out all of the residue I was left with a slight haze all over the inside of the oven after it had dried and had to take a clean sponge to it again.

This ended up being quite a bit of work considering I didn't get the result I was hoping for. 





After lots of elbow grease, I got a small area almost clean.

This left me wondering a couple of things. 1.Did I have the oven temp set incorrectly? 2.Were my ingredient measurements wrong? 3.How baked on was the grime in the oven shown in the video? 4.Has anyone tried this and it's worked?

Please feel free to share any videos or magic potions you've tried {that have worked} in the comments section below.  I'd give it another go!

Stop sharing those FB and Youtube videos without trying them out!

You Can Do It!






No comments:

Post a Comment