Tuesday, January 26, 2016

"Just Moo-ried"!

Sometimes I'm asked to create something for a friend. Once in a while it comes out better than I expect it to. This was one of those occasions. 

I was thrilled to hear the exciting news when Cindy, a very dear friend of mine, told me her daughter was getting married. I enjoyed hearing all about the bridal shower,  the Mother of the Bride dress shopping and their plans for handmade wedding favors. The bride and groom were planning a rustic themed ceremony and reception complete with accents of birch trees, burlap and a bon fire with s'mores. 

In the months preceding the wedding, Cindy and I poured over Pintrest sharing our ideas with each other as if we were planning our own weddings. Then one day Cindy said, "Soooo, do you think you could make a cake like this?" She showed me a picture of a wedding cake resembling stacked birch wood with an adorable heart "carved" into the side. Now I like a challenge as much as the next girl but I wasn't so sure about this one. I knew though, if I didn't at least try, that crazy cake would haunt me. So I agreed and we set about with a plan of attack.


Cupcake version of the cake














This was my first try. We were happy with the results so it was on! I was officially signed up to make my first wedding cake! {no pressure}

Come to find out, the bride collects cows. She was smitten with these bride and groom cows she found on line and was hoping I could make them from fondant as a cake topper. Hey, if I'm going to do this, I'm all in! Back to Pinterest for inspiration.

Usually, cake toppers are made from materials that are sustainable, they're a keepsake or memento. The bride saves her topper and either displays it in their home or stows it away somewhere never to be seen again. {But she knows it's there} So fondant wasn't going to cut it. Being a mother of two crafty girls, I knew there were various products out there that would work. I decided on Model Magic. This is an amazing product. It's pliable like clay but super light weight like foam. It hardens and it comes in lots of vibrant colors too. 



Turns out, this was quite easy! I made each body part starting with balls of various sizes. Some I rolled into log shapes {arms and legs}, others squished or shaped like an oval then flattened {snout and hat} and some pinched and twisted into ears. Poking around in my craft area, I found black rhinestones for eyes, tulle for the veil, ribbon for the bow tie and veil and some small flower details for the bouquet. I used toothpicks, super glue and tweezers to adhere the accessories and details. {The cows were placed on a sheet of waxed paper before being placed on the cake} Finally, I picked up a white gift box at the craft store and decorated it with cow print adding the wedding date and the bride and grooms names.





I had no idea I could do this. If I can do it, you can too!

You Can Do It!
























No comments:

Post a Comment