Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Death By Chocolate!



Chocolate is my kryptonite. I could go all day and eat noting but twigs and leaves if you told me I could end my day by polishing off a pint of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk. I cannot wrap my head around people who order apple pie for dessert over a brownie sundae or serve cheesecake with cherry topping when you could indulge in Death By Chocolate topped with Heath Bar crumbles.

So, when my daughter tells me she'd like to have a couple of girls sleep over in honor of her BFF's birthday I say, "I'll make the cake!" No one asks me what kind of cake I might make. There are no options. Just like cats are girls and dogs are boys, cake is chocolate.




I saw this technique on Face Book and have been waiting for an opportunity to try it.  It was so easy and you can do it too!

I started with a recipe I found on allrecipes.com called Extreme Chocolate Cake. Iv'e made this recipe three times now and it is by far the best chocolate cake recipe Iv'e ever had!!
Ice the cake and decorate the top with whatever you like. I used Sixlets and nonpareils. You can write a traditional message if you prefer.




Now, using a fabric tape measure {because it's pliable} take the cake's measurements. You need the circumference and the height. Cut a piece of waxed paper the length of the circumference X the height of the cake. Place the waxed paper on a clean countertop. {I placed it on cooling racks because I thought I'd be transferring it to the refrigerator but it was too long to fit so I left it out to set}














Place 1/4 C. of melting chocolate or chocolate chips in a sandwich bag with 1 tsp. of vegetable oil. Microwave for 20 seconds three or four times. Squeeze the bag between each heating to disperse the oil and melted chocolate. Just barely snip off one corner of the bag and use it like a piping bag to draw a random design on the waxed paper. Let this set on the countertop until almost firm.

Now, wrap the waxed paper around the cake and gently press your design onto the cake. Leaving the waxed paper intact, place your cake in the refrigerator to finish setting the chocolate. Probably about 20 minutes. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and gently peel the paper away from the chocolate. If it doesn't come off easily, return the cake to the refrigerator for another 5-10 minutes before trying again.





Imagine how pretty it would be made with white chocolate and the cake topped with mixed berries! This looks so amazing that your friends and family won't believe you did it.

I have yet to hear of anyone who has actually succumbed to death by chocolate, but when you try this cake, you'll think you've died and gone to Heaven!

You Can Do It!










No comments:

Post a Comment